Anjan has advised many of the world’s leading companies in large, complex, and market first matters in Nepal. He has extensive experience in foreign investments, joint ventures, mergers & acquisitions, private equity, franchising, cross-border loans, project finance, and financial technology matters. He also represents clients in domestic and international arbitrations, and litigations in disputes relating to contracts, investments, construction, and taxation. His representative experience includes advising:
- Telenor in Nepalese law aspects of potential merger with Axiata Group.
- IFC in equity investment in Upper Trishuli-1 Hydropower.
- Rank Group in the sale of Closure Systems International to Pact Group.
- Daraz Group in the sale of Daraz Nepal to Alibaba Group.
- Saisan in the acquisition of majority stake in NL Gas to form Gas One Nepal.
- Various PRC investors on due diligence and acquisition of hydropower projects.
- ICICI Bank in setting up of a representative office in Nepal.
- Bank of China in the financing of Hongshi Shivam Cement.
- FMO and other lenders in the financing of the Lower Solu Hydropower.
- IFC and other lenders in the financing of Kabeli-A Hydropower.
- InfraCo Asia in joint venture with Saral Urja for various solar rooftop PV projects.
- Leading hotel chains in franchise and management agreements with various hotels.
- Nissan Motors in defending various lawsuits filed by distributor.
- Northern & Western Reinsurance in defending aviation reinsurance claim.
- Apar Industries in arbitration with Nepal Electricity Authority.
- Texmaco in arbitration relating to Uppter Tamakoshi-1 Hydropower.
- Leading international hotel chain in arbitration with a Nepalese hotel owner.
- Leading beverages company in shareholder disputes with joint venture partner.
Anjan also acted as corporate and tax law expert appointed by the Government of Nepal for the defence of ICSID arbitration claim filed by Ncell. His other clients include banks and financial institutions: Deutsche Bank, ICICI Bank, Bank Julius Baer, Mashreq Bank, China Development Bank, CEXIM, Sinosure, Japan Bank of International Cooperation, GuarantCo, ICBC Leasing, CDB Leasing, and multinationals: Visa, Tencent, Marriott, Hilton, Dusit Thani, Milvik, Avtrade, Cathay Pacific, JCB, Crocs, BBC, The Body Shop, General Electric, Ant Financial and others.
Anjan holds LL.B. (Hons) First Class from the University of Aberdeen, United Kingdom, and LL.M in International Financial and Commercial Law from King's College London. He is licensed as an Advocate by Nepal Bar Council and is a member of the Nepal Bar Association and the International Bar Association.